Day 075 - Broome



Finally made it to the west coast! Derby didn't really count (and the water was dirty brown). We were both stunned by the colour of the water in Broome, a really bright turquoise. Amazing! Even more amazing, there was surf! Broome isn't meant to have surf unless there's a cyclone or big storm but when we checked out Cable Beach there was a 1.5 wave coming through every couple of minutes. Straight out there!

I felt really seedy when we first arrived in Broome. I'd given up washing my feet (even to go to bed), so had about 4 days worth of crusty dirt on my feet when we were in the tourist office and poking around town. Was keen for a shower but the surf was even better. So good to wash off the dirt and grime with warm salt water in the sunshine, it was actually warmer than Indo. The surf wasn't much to write home about but got a few little ones and put a couple of turns in.

I'd hurt my neck about 4 days ago and could hardly move my head for a while. The corrugations and all the lifting gear in and out of truck didn't help but paddling really helped. Sweet salt tonic water!

We sorted out somewhere to stay (after hurriedly bailing on the first caravan park we checked that looked like the end of a rock festival) and caught up with Coral, one of the girls from Bali. Cruised into town for the best falafel I've ever had and watched a film at the outdoor cinema which I'd highly recommend to anyone visiting Broome! Late night for us, going to be at 11pm. We're used to being asleep under the stars at about 9pm!

Surf: Cable Beach, WA, 1.5 foot, 1.0hr (74.0 total)